I've been thinking and I've realized that I have a few things I want to say. I hope the people in my life know how much I appreciate them. Do I tell them enough? Do they know? Ya see.. Raising a family of 5 kids is not a job that can be done without the love and support of others. Tonight I am feeling thankful for the people in my life who help me fulfill my greatest life gift, motherhood. I think this feeling all came from a few things. My friend ,Laura, asked me how things were going. She saw me with the four little ones and remarked on how she did not know how I could do it all..She asked me if the addition of Sara changed things. It got me thinking..Of course she changed things ,but how? Here is the answer I came up with. Work is the same, nothing knew there. My enjoyment and love for my kids and my hubby are the same, nothing new there. What has changed is the level of busy but not because of Sara. I think it's because of the stages the kids are in. Jake has had more school work at home and has new "pre-teen" needs. The triplets are now in school and that has added to the level of busy. Packing back packs, doing homework, remembering to dress them in green for green day. Just think about raising triplets for a minute...The sibling fighting and "wild playing" that comes when your kids are each others best friends and all at the same developmental level.CRAZY...and then add in Sara and the needs of a baby. My time at home is beyond busy. Carving out time for all the kids and keeping the house running is a lot. Laundry..oh my word, don't get me started....it's insane! Time for me is few and far between, but that's OK. So Laura's question got me thinking and recently someone in my life had a hard time understanding why I cannot make time for them. Man..that was so hurtful to me. I really just don't have any more I can give of myself. Being a people pleaser by nature and an overachiever..sometimes I have a difficult time accepting that I can't do it all. Heck, my own mom even knows that it might take me a day or two get back to her if she calls. I think most people I know understand my life, but I don't want to presume that those people that make my life bearable know how much I appreciate them! Trust me when I say I am not complaining..I love my life and everything about it. It's just a very full life! So here goes my gratitude....
I am thankful for:
1. My hubby whose love for his family is obvious to anyone who knows him. He is such an involved dad. He's a true parenting partner! I love how he plays Candy Land with the kids almost every night and acts as though he loves the game more than the kids do!
2. My in-laws who love and care for our children everyday while we work. Life is sooo good at Grandma and Grandpa's house. I love the relationship they have with the kids. My amazing mother in law even comes over to our house at the crack of dawn so our kids don't have to get out of bed.
3. My parents who step in to help whenever we need them and make "having fun" a grandparenting priority for our kids. My mom even made me dinner the other week when she could tell I was overloaded!
4. My sister in laws Michelle and Brenda who love our kids and fight over the chance to watch them. Without Michelle, there would be no 5 kids to love. ( she set Ron and I up). Brenda is always game to go anywhere and do anything with me AND my 5 kids!
5. My niece, Malory and nephew, Cameron who are our #1 babysitters!
6. My friends..For Cindy who has driven Jake to and from church ever Wednesday night this ENTIRE year. I know she will always help when I need her. For my Bible study girls who always drive when we go out because they know how it's a HUGE treat for me to veg out in the back seat. For my work friends who understand that sometimes I am tired for a good reason.
7. My cousin Katie for being my bestest friend and my favorite ride-home talk! I always call her from the car because its the only time we can talk uninterrupted!
8. My church for being a place that rejuvenates our family every week.
9. My auntie Shirley who is my second mom!
10. Last but not least..for our kids..I hope they know how much I love them.... more than life itself. In the busyness I need to make an effort to just step back sometimes , let the laundry go and enjoy every last thing about them!
** I knew I would forget someone...it came to me in the shower..I am thankful for Lynn, my friend who cleans for us. She is the best and I could NOT do it without her. And..my students, who make me smile and keep me hip on the teen front!
2 comments:
Hi Friend! I have recently started a journal recording 1000 gifts. It is a great way to 'stay present' in the craziness by couting the blessings as they come it helps me to savor them just a little more. I'm at about #250...and counting. What a beautiful family Beth!!
Seeing Maddie & Aida giggle together and get in fights in the bathtub this weekend brought me such joyful memories of our life's journey....cousins, "sisters," friends forever.....love you!
Post a Comment